Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Learning and Growing.

Hey All,

So, I definitely am still not great at updating this regularly. I have 4 things I want to discuss today: Motivation, Integrity, Self-Control, and Discipline. They are all kind of similar, or at least they all seem to speak to my life similarly lately.

First off, Motivation. I am not a terribly motivated person. When I was in High School, I rarely did my homework, and didn't pay a lot of attention in class. When I was in College, I did most of my homework on time, but rarely started it more than a day before it was due. I paid more attention in class, when I was there, and not terribly drowsy from staying up late the night before. So motivation and I haven't been terribly great friends. I wish I were more motivated though, on things like: losing weight, eating healthy, memorizing scripture, reading scripture. There are a lot of things I would like to do more of, or put more effort into. 

Secondly, Integrity. I have always wanted to be able to say that I am a man of integrity. What does this mean? What is integrity? How does one go about being a person of integrity? I think that for myself this currently means trying to be the same person no matter who I'm with, or where I am. I want to be able to be myself no matter where I am. Part of this is keeping my mind pure. There seems to be an epidemic in our culture that says that sexual innuendo is good, and that these jokes are the funniest kind of jokes. I like to make jokes, because I enjoy making people laugh. If doing this is causing me to have to be seeking out the sexual innuendo in the things that people say it causes my mind to constantly be in the gutter. Sexual innuendos are not the things I want to come to my mind first when somebody says something that could be taken inappropriately (for example, "That's what She Said" jokes..)

Thirdly, Self-Control. I have never been one to force my body to obey me. I used to be pretty lazy, but I've always found the energy to eat when I was hungry...even often when I was not. This one kind of goes along with Integrity. I want my mind to be pure. I also want to be able to have control of the things I say and the things I do. I want to be conscious of the decisions that I'm making and the effects that they are having on my life.

Lastly, Discipline. Which is kind of the same thing as self-control, but leaks over into other areas of life. Doing things even if I don't feel like doing them. This one has the most to do with my devotional life. I want to get in the habit of studying the scriptures and learning more and more about my creator, while developing my relationship with him. I want to love the things he loves, and hate the things he hates.

So, all of these things: Motivation, Integrity, Self-Control, and Discipline are things that I'm working on in my life. I don't know if I'll ever have them figured out. I don't know if I even need to have them all figured out. I am realizing though, that as I journey through life, I want to constantly be setting, reaching, re-evaluating and setting new goals. I never want to stop learning and growing. I want to be healthy: spiritually, physically, mentally, and emotionally. Through all of this, God is faithful!

All Glory and Thanks to God my Father!

No comments:

Post a Comment