Thursday, October 6, 2011

Autumn Changes Lives.

I love Autumn, the leaves turning colours, the weather cooling down. It is a fantastic season. Autumn and I get along pretty well. One of the themes of Autumn is change. Everything changes in Autumn. The leaves change colours and fall to the ground, students go back to school, and youth starts up again. I love change. I think it's safe to say that I thrive on change. I am driven to change something in my life almost constantly. I'm not sure if this means that I need to learn contentment, or if I've been given a restlessness for a reason.

This summer has been a summer of growth for me, my relationship with Jesus Christ has become more real to me this summer than it has been in years. Often I feel as though the reality of my relationship with Christ, and the way that I think my relationship with Jesus are and should be are different things. This spring I began to realize that I needed to change something. Ha! Isn't that weird? I always feel like things need to change. The change that I realized I needed was to give up my skepticism, give up my "theologian's pride." Even though when I went to Prov I wasn't really into a lot of the deep theology stuff, I thought that since I was studying the Bible and learning a lot about God and who he was and is, that I was an authority on God. WHO AM I to think that I can know who God is from taking a couple of courses in college? God is so much greater than we can ever hope to know completely. Yet he still wants to know us personally, well, he does know us personally, but wants us to seek him and know him.

In less than TWO WEEKS, I'm going to be heading down to San Carlos, Mexico with Ryan Thiessen, and Juan Carlos. I'm going to be living down there and serving for 3ish weeks, doing whatever they tell me to do I guess. Why am I doing this? Firstly, in order to learn what it's like to see God at work in another country. To feel what it's like to give up my comfort, my safety, my job, my friends, my church, for a time in order to get to know God better. I'm sick of living my life as though I don't believe what I say I believe. It's about time I get real, and put my "money where my mouth is" as it were. I love Jesus Christ, and I want to go where he calls me. The amount of money I have in my bank account does not dictate what I can and cannot do for him. Since he controls so much more than finances.

It is so hard to surrender. It is so hard to think about all the pain and suffering that people endure every day because of Christ. It breaks my heart to think about all the people that live in North America and can't see how it's destroying their spiritual lives. It is SO HARD to realize how much we actually need God when we live with such blessings. We often don't turn to God, until someone we know and love, or we ourselves are in dire trouble. I want what I say and do to line up with what Jesus wants me to say and do. If you're reading this and are comfortable where you are, think about what Jesus would want you to do that's uncomfortable. What can you do in your day to day, that you know you should be doing, but aren't? I know there isn't any scripture in my post. Search scripture yourself. Jesus can speak through his words to you, even if you're not a biblical scholar. He's more powerful than language barriers, his love is more complete than the love you can feel from anyone here on earth.

Stop making excuses, if you think that you should do something, and it lines up with what God says in the Bible, do it! God will do some amazing things.

It's all about Jesus, all of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment